Best Canada Immigration Consultants in Chennai

Top Immigration and Canada PR Visa Consultants in India

Home Canada Immigration Express Entry Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)



The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is one of the three programs running under the Express Entry system. The qualifying candidates may apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry selection system, by creating their profile and submitting an expression of interest to immigrate to Canada. Eligible candidates with a valid job offer or certification to work in certain occupations may apply under the FSTC. With no eligibility requirement to prove their level of education to enter the pool, the FSTC candidates may have lower CRS score than other Express Entry candidates.


To become eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Class must meet the following:

  • Language skills: The applicant must meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels for each language ability. The minimum score of CLB is 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing. The test results must be valid at the time application for permanent residence is initiated.
  • Work experience: The applicant must have 2 years of full-time or equal amount of part-time work experience in a skilled trade within the last 5 years from the date of application. Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
    • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
    • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
    • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
    • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
    • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
    • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The major NOC groups are sub categorized into various occupations and they come under the skill type B.

The applicant must show that his or her essential duties matches with the occupational description in the NOC used to apply the permanent residency.


  • Job requirements: The applicant must meet the job requirements for the skilled trade under which it is applying, as given in the National Occupational Classification. These requirements don’t apply in case where certificate of qualification is needed.


  • Valid Job Offer: The applicant must have a valid full- time job offer for a total period of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority. –


  • Under the Federal Skills Trades Worker program, there is no requirement for education in order to become eligible to apply for the permanent residence. However, the applicant can increase its CRS points by getting their education credentials assessed in two ways:


  1. Canadian education: If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school
  2. Foreign education: If you have foreign education, you can get points for:
    • a completed foreign credential, and
    • an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
      • secondary (high school) or
      • post-secondary school

Permanent Job Offer or Skilled Trade Qualification

In the case of a permanent job offer, the applicant must be able to supply proof that they have been offered a full-time job in Canada that adds up to 30 hours a week or more. This can also be applicable to two part-time job offers that will cover 30 hours a week.

If the applicant is qualified and holds a certification in their particular skilled trade, they do not necessarily need a job offer. Instead, the applicant needs to get hold of the regulatory body in the province or territory in which they intend to work, and through this provincial or territorial organization get their skilled trade qualifications certified.

Please note: it is likely that the applicant will have to travel to the province or area in which they wish to reside to get the certification done.

Satisfy Job Requirements

An applicant must be able to meet the requirements of one of the employment opportunities that is offered in the Federal Skilled Trades Program. There is a list of the possible jobs for applicants, and failure to meet either the relative certification or training for one of these jobs will result in failure to work in Canada through the program. 

Work Outside Quebec

Quebec has its own skilled immigration program called the Quebec Skilled Trades Program, therefore prospective immigrants who are qualified in a skilled trade and wish to work and settle in Quebec are not able to got through the Federal Skilled Trades Program and must instead apply to the relevant authorities in Quebec.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is only for prospective immigrants who wish to live and work in British Columbia (BC), Alberta (AB), Saskatchewan (SK), Manitoba (MB), Ontario (ON), New Brunswick (NB), Nova Scotia (NS), Prince Edward Island (PEI), Newfoundland (NL), or any of the Canadian territories.

Canada Immigration Consultants | Best Express Entry Canada PR Visa Consultant | Expressway Immigration

Looking to migrate to Canada? Get in touch with us for quick and convenient process. Know your real options today. Talk to expert consultants and get valuable information. Reliable Service. Quality Consulting. Expert Consultants. Services: IELTS Preparation, Travel Support.

Talk to our Canadian Immigration Experts: +918939263766 |+919566677734 |+917092556334